As representatives from gas companies sweep through Otsego County to solicit signatures on leases giving drilling rights on large properties, we are faced with the unknown consequences this invasive technology may have on our natural resources, especially our land and water.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR REVISED MAP: Natural Gas Well Locations and Leased Properties.
OCCA understands that natural gas is a clean-burning fuel, but it is also a fossil fuel and a non-renewable fuel. Our water resources are too precious to put at risk. We should be focusing on alternative, renewable energies – and on conservation.
OCCA has been in the forefront of public education and action on this issue. Specifically, OCCA has produced, posted on this website and updated a map showing parcels leased to gas companies within Otsego County. OCCA members and staff have attended and made presentations at numerous public meetings focused on gas drilling. We have also compiled an informational flier, written opinion pieces for local papers on this topic, and submitted a 9-page response to the DEC’s draft Supplemental Generic Environmental Impact – all available on this website. To educate yourself further on natural gas drilling, click here for other related website links, presentations and documents.
NATURAL GAS DRAFT SCOPING COMMENTS
In February, 2009 the NYS DEC released its "Final Scope for Draft Supplemental Generic Environmental Impact Statement (dSGEIS) on the Oil, Gas and Solution Mining Regulatory Program, Well Permit Issuance for Horizontal Drilling and High-Volume Hydraulic Fracturing to Develop the Marcellus Shale and Other Low-permeability Gas Reservoirs." To read that document, click here.
To read comments on this document from OCCA and other interested parties and individuals, click on the links below.
• Catskill Citizens
• Schuyler County Environmental Management Council
• Natural Resources Defense Council
• Anne Marie Garti
• Dr. Ronald E. Bishop
• Sustainable Otsego
• James Herman
• Colleen Blacklock, B.A. Biology
• City of New York Department of Environmental Protection
• Resolution of the Cherry Valley Town Board
LINKS TO NATURAL GAS INFORMATION
• OCCA Natural Gas Drilling Position Statement
• OCCA Notes on Natural Gas Drilling Position Statement
• OCCA Information Sheet on Natural Gas Drilling
• Bill Would Protect Drinking Water from Natural Gas Development
LINKS TO DRAFT TEMPLATES OF PROPOSED LOCAL LAWS
• Road preservation – Town of Berkshire
• Road preservation – Town of New Lisbon
• Vehicle permitting – Broome County