OTSEGO COUNTY CONSERVATION ASSOCIATION
OCCA is the only countywide environmental organization addressing a broad spectrum of basic environmental concerns. OCCA plays a key role in initiating and carrying out programs designed to improve or protect Otsego County’s air, land, and water. Wide support from county residents enhances our ability to accomplish our mission. Click here for volunteer opportunities.
OCCA is dedicated to promoting the appreciation and sustainable use of Otsego County's natural resources through education, advocacy, resource management, research, and planning. Click here for our 2011 Program/Work Schedule.
TO REVIEW OUR CURRENT PROJECTS, CLICK HERE.
In 1968, a small group of individuals with foresight regarding environmental matters in Otsego County banded together to form the Otsego County Conservation Association. OCCA remains the only countywide environmental organization working on a broad spectrum of programs to protect our local natural resources and educate the general public about important environmental issues and concerns.
Over the past 40 years, OCCA has been involved in virtually every major environmental issue facing the county and has accumulated a long list of accomplishments in the arena of environmental improvement, protection, and education.
Our efforts have been instrumental in a number of ways, including:
• Raising awareness about threats to water quality, especially in regard to faulty septic systems and agricultural run-off, and initiating programs to address these threats
• Challenging a DEC-proposed boat launch in Glimmerglass State Park
• Initiating and recruiting volunteers for Otsego County’s Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day
• Promoting appreciation of our county’s open space and existing trails
• Monitoring and commenting on major development projects within the county
• Organizing forums, festivals, panels and other events to raise environmental awareness
• Aiding municipalities and lake organizations with the crafting of lake management plans
• Combating invasive species
• Advocacy of adherence by municipalities to the State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA)
• Advocacy for a legislative ban on outdoor trash burning
OCCA is a unique organization, which for more than 40 years has played an important role in identifying key environmental issues in Otsego County and effectively addressing them. OCCA’s influence has been both strong and positive since its inception.
TO READ A MORE COMPLETE OCCA HISTORY, CLICK HERE.